START!™ Pristine Potato Gnocchi
- Potatoes 1 standard or 2 small
- Plain flour 1 cup
- Egg substitute 1/4 Cup or 1 Egg
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp START!™ Sauce
- Black Pepper (powder) 1 tsp
- Butter 1/8 Cup
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- (if desired) Mozzarella or Cheddar cheese (vegan or dairy) 1/2 Cup
- Put the potatoes in boiling water and cook until done. Drain the potatoes and peel while still hot. Force the potatoes through a sieve using the back of a spoon.
- Add the pepper and START!™ Sauce and then beat in the egg substitute/egg until it is completely incorporated.
- Add the flour a little at a time and mix well until you have a smooth dough.
- Add the nutmeg and knead the dough for a few minutes. The dough should not be sticky to touch. Add more flour if needed. Divide the dough into 4 parts. Roll out each part into a smooth roll about 1 inch in diameter. Cut the roll across into pieces 1 inch long.
- To shape the gnocchi, place a fork on a board. One by one press and roll the gnocchi lightly over the tines of the fork to make ridges on one side. Make a depression with your thumb on the other side.
- Bring a large pan of water to boil. Add 1 tsp salt and drop in gnocchi in 2 batches. When the gnocchi rise to the surface, remove them with a slotted spoon.
- If you are adding cheese, in a separate pan, melt cheese of your choice.
- Allow to drain and toss immediately with butter (and cheese if using). The gnocchi can be served with grated cheese, additional START!™ Sauce or black pepper, or a sauce of your choice.