Excellent Vegan Eggplant Parmesan
- 2 medium sized Eggplant
- 2 cups Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
- 2 sprigs Basil leaves , roughly torn
- 200 g Mozzarella cheese (vegan or dairy) cut into 1/8 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano reggiano cheese (vegan or dairy), grated
- 1/4 cup Bread crumbs (gluten-free option)
- 4 Tbsp START! Sauce
- Salt and Pepper , to taste
- Season the eggplant slices with salt and allow them to rest for about half an hour. During the resting process the eggplants release water and this indicates that they are ready for grilling.
- Grease a cast iron grill pan or a skillet with a little oil. Place the salt marinated eggplants onto the preheated grill.
- Allow them to grill in the pan for a few seconds and then flip them over. Cover the pan and allow the eggplant to grill and get tender on medium heat. After a couple of minutes of grilling, flip them over to the other side and grill until tender and lightly roasted.
- Remove them from the pan, keep them aside and proceed the same way with the remaining eggplants.
- At this stage preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Into an individual baking dish, place the large eggplant slices evenly spaced apart. Over each eggplant, place a sliced mozzarella cheese.
- Next spoon the tomato basil sauce over each of the slices. Then sprinkle some grated Parmigiano cheese.
- Next place the smaller slices of eggplant to make another layer and repeat with tomato sauce, basil, and the 2 cheeses.
- Apply START! Sauce over the eggplant/sauce
- Finally sprinkle the toasted bread crumbs over the top that will make the crust.
- Place the Eggplant Parmigiana into the preheated oven and bake uncovered until the cheese is melts and the tops turn light brown about 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, remove from the oven and garnish with basil leaf.
- Serve the Eggplant Parmigiana immediately with a toasted bread, spaghetti and possibly some good wine!