START!™ Falafel Filling Hoagie
A fantastic falafel filling to ‘fun up’ your sandwich!
You can use a commercially available falafel ball mix and follow package directions or you can make your own as follows:
Falafel Balls Ingredients:
- 1 cup dried chickpeas or 16 oz. can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Oil for frying
Falafel Balls Preparation:
- Place dried chickpeas in a bowl, covering with cold water. Allow to soak overnight. Omit this step if using canned beans.
- Drain chickpeas, and place in pan with fresh water, and bring to a boil.
- Allow to boil for 5 minutes, then let simmer on low for about an hour.
- Drain and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper (to taste) in medium bowl. Add flour.
- Mash chickpeas, ensuring to mix ingredients together. You can also combine ingredients in a food processor. You want the result to be a thick paste.
- Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. Slightly flatten.
- Fry in 2 inches of oil at 350 degrees until golden brown (5-7 minutes).
- Serve hot.
Next, you are ready to put the sandwich together.
- Sandwich bread of your choice – 2 qty.
- Vegan butter or original butter – 1 Tbsp
- START!™ Original Hot Curry Sauce – 2 Tbsp
- Lettuce shredded – 1/2 cup
- Sour cream or vegan sour cream – 1 Tbsp
- Tomato, cut in wedges – 3-4 qty.
- Falafel balls as above
- Butter both sides of sandwich bread and toast lightly
- Add sour cream, tomato, and falafel balls in sandwich.
- Top with START! and serve
Follow START! on twitter @startsauce
Need some START! NOW? Please visit the ONLINE SHOP