START! Curry BBQ Rice
Cookout rice that’s so nice…with spice!
- Rice 4 cups
- Tofu (can also use vegan chicken substitute or chicken) 0.5 lb chopped into cubes or strips
- Potato 2 (peeled, cut in medium size and fried)
- Onion 2
- Yogurt (soy or dairy) 375 g
- START! Sauce 4 tbsp
- Turmeric ½ tsp (mixed in 2 tbsp almond, soy, or dairy milk)
- Salt 1 tsp
- Lemon juice 4 tbsp
- Green cardamom 4
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Screw pine essence 1 tsp (can substitute with saffron)
- Fresh mint ½ bunch
- Fresh coriander ½ bunch
- Green chilies 4
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tbsp
- Oil ½ cup
- Coal 1
- Heat oil in a large skillet and fry the sliced onion till golden brown.
- Now add the the ginger garlic paste, tofu/chicken, START! Sauce, salt, green cardamom, and cumin.
- Cook for ten minutes on medium heat.
- Beat the yogurt in a bowl and add chopped mint and coriander, whole green chillies, sliced tomatoes and fried potatoes, mix well.
- Spread this yogurt mixture on top of the tofu or chicken.
- Then add a layer of parboiled rice.
- Drizzle screw pine essence/saffron and tumeric mixture on top.
- Cover and cook on very low heat for 15 minutes.
- Now place the cooked rice in an appropriate non-flammable container with lid on top of grill and flame (preferably coal)
- Drizzle some oil on rice, cover tightly and leave it for 5 minutes.