START!™ Baked Eggplant Sandwich
The hot eggplant classic with a curry twist!
- 1/4 cup Chopped fresh parsley
- Cut eggplant into twelve 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 Eggs (or 1 cup vegan egg substitute)
- 1/4 cup Milk (dairy or soy/almond/rice)
- 6 slices Mozzarella cheese (or vegan cheese substitute)
- 6 tbsp Pizza sauce
- 3 tbsp START! Sauce
- 3 tbsp Vegetable oil
Spoon about 1 tablespoon pizza sauce and 1/2 tbsp START! Sauce onto each of 6 eggplant slices. Top each with 1 slice cheese (cut or fold cheese if necessary to fit) and with remaining eggplant slices. Beat eggs/egg substitute and milk. Mix bread crumbs and parsley in shallow dish. Dip each sandwich into egg mixture then into crumb mixture turning to coat both sides. Press crumb mixture into and around edges to coat entire sandwich. Place sandwiches in pan. Drizzle with remaining oil. Cover pan with aluminum foil. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and turn sandwiches. Bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until sandwiches are golden brown and eggplant is tender.